Our story at Hughes Homestead Designs is deeply rooted in our personal journey. After 26 years of living in the Northeast Heights of Albuquerque, Marlee convinced Scott that it was time for a change. In November of 2020, they took a leap of faith and purchased a beautiful 1 ½ acre property in the South Valley.
Discovering the Abundance:
This property held many surprises for us. It boasted numerous trees and a substantial garden area with rows of blackberry brambles and neatly laid-out plots for growing various crops. In the spring, we eagerly started planting vegetables and watched as the trees burst into vibrant life with leaves and blooms.
As we settled into our new surroundings, we had the pleasure of meeting our neighbors. In those early spring days, we learned that two of the trees on our property were cherry trees, and this revelation brought immense excitement, especially for Marlee, who adores cherries.
Harvest Beyond Expectations:
The garden proved to be a source of unexpected abundance. In addition to the blackberries, we discovered fruit-bearing trees. Twelve other trees on the property were laden with fruit, and there were also four apple trees in the garden area, along with a fig tree that resembled more of a bush than a tree.
Preserving the Harvest:
With such a bountiful harvest of produce and fruit, we found ourselves with more than we could consume or cook. This led to our foray into canning and crafting jams and jellies from the surplus fruit.
A Market Journey Begins:
In 2022, the harvests became overwhelmingly abundant, and the idea of selling at Farmer’s Markets began to take shape. We explored several options but ultimately found our place at Saturday Morning’s on Becker in Belen, a market combining farmers and artisans.
Innovation and Passion:
At the market, we encountered a lady in the next booth who attracted customers with biscochito samples, a New Mexican favorite. Inspired by her approach, Scott began making focaccia bread using herbs from our garden to draw people to our booth. While the fresh blackberries were an easy sell, we also introduced jams and jellies, which resonated well with our customers.
Following a Passion:
Scott's passion, however, lay in woodworking, a craft he had cherished for many years. He decided to shift the focus of our business from jellies and produce to woodworking. Setting up his woodshop at our new home, he started crafting items like charcuterie boards, bread boards with bow knives, U.S. flags, and wall signs. These creations resonated with our customers.
Spanish Colonial Inspiration:
Scott's deep appreciation for New Mexico's Spanish colonial style architecture and furniture led him to explore this artistic avenue. He crafted a Spanish colonial style serving tray with a New Mexico twist, which garnered significant attention.
Today, Scott's woodworking has expanded to include furniture such as console tables and coffee tables. His ambitious goal is to create a dining table for our home that can comfortably seat 12-16 people.
Our journey at Hughes Homestead Designs is a testament to our love for craftsmanship, sustainability, and community. We invite you to join us on this incredible journey as we continue to grow and create handcrafted pieces that bring joy and beauty to your homes.
Why Choose Hughes Homestead Designs:
- Exquisite Craftsmanship: Our artisans are true craftsmen and craftswomen dedicated to delivering designs that stand the test of time. Quality and aesthetics are our unwavering focus, ensuring every piece is a masterpiece.
- Environmentally Conscious: We're on a mission to make a positive impact on the environment. By choosing our products, you're joining a movement towards sustainability and supporting responsible production practices.
- Empowering Women and Veterans: As a woman-owned and veteran-owned business, we take pride in creating opportunities for fellow women entrepreneurs and veterans. We're all about promoting diversity and empowerment.
- Customization and Personalization: Your home should be a reflection of you. That's why we offer customization options, so you can create personalized pieces that align perfectly with your vision.
- Creating Lasting Memories: Our designs aren't just decor; they become a part of your family's story. We're honored to be part of your memories and experiences, passed down from one generation to the next.
Join us at Hughes Homestead Designs on our journey toward sustainable, thoughtful, and love-infused craftsmanship. Together, let's create a more beautiful, inclusive, and eco-conscious world, one handcrafted masterpiece at a time.
And remember, when you choose us, you're also contributing to a good cause. A percentage of our proceeds goes to support the Road Runner Food Bank in Albuquerque, NM, because we believe in giving back to our community.